Social Security and Medicare
Apply for Social Security
- Contact Social Security, http://www.ssa.gov, if you are 62 and plan to retire or if you are within three months of 65, even if you don’t plan to retire.
- If you are receiving Social Security benefits you will be sent Medicare information.
- If you are not receiving benefits, apply 3 months before your 65th birthday. Contact Social Security to apply.
- As a retired employee, you must enroll in both Parts A & B when become eligible for Medicare. NYS will reimburse you for the cost of Part B.
- State retirees enrolled in the New York State Health Insurance Plan (NYSHIP) are reimbursed the cost of their Part B Premium. Reimbursement for local government employees is determined by the health insurance policy of that particular governmental entity.